What will I be learning?
Gas engineering involves the safe installation, commission, decommission and the ongoing service and repair of gas appliances in either a domestic or non-domestic setting. Roles in gas engineering will include explaining how installations and appliances work, providing energy efficiency advice and ensuring customer service excellence at all times. Gas engineering operates strictly within the requirements of health and safety legislation.
Why is this course for me?
You will learn through a combination of on and off-the-job training. You will attend London Gas Training Centre on an agreed pattern and spend the rest of your time earning and learning in the workplace.The EGC programme consists of both centre training and 'on the job' work experience, gained whilst under the supervision of a registered gas installer, acting as the candidates mentor
Individuals will be required to demonstrate competence in real On the Job situations during the performance of these genuine work activities their work will be observed and recorded by a Centre approved Gas Safe Registered engineer. All tasks and duties will be those reasonably expected of being performed by a competent gas operative.
- SAFETY, LEGISLATION AND STANDARDS
- GAS EMERGENCY ACTIONS AND PROCEDURES
- PRODUCTS AND CHARACTERISTICS OF COMBUSTION
- VENTILATION FOR DOMESTIC GAS BURNING APPLIANCES
- INSTALLATION OF PIPEWORK AND FITTINGS
- TIGHTNESS TESTING AND PURGING
- CHECKING AND/ OR SETTING METER REGULATORS
- UNSAFE SITUATIONS, EMERGENCY NOTICES AND WARNING LABELS
- OPERATION AND POSITIONING OF EMERGENCY ISOLATION
- CONTROLS AND VALVES CHECKING AND SETTING
- APPLIANCE BURNER PRESSURES AND GAS RATES
- OPERATION AND CHECKING OF APPLIANCE GAS SAFETY DEVICES AND CONTROLS
- CHIMNEY STANDARDS
- CHIMNEY INSTALLATION, INSPECTION AND TESTING
- RE-ESTABLISH EXISTING GAS SUPPLY AND RE-LIGHT APPLIANCES
- DOMESTIC PIPEWORK INSTALLATION